The Caxton Arms first opened in 1862. It was reconstructed and refronted in 1928 as a community pub to support the now closed dairy on North Gardens. The pub is named after William Caxton an English merchant, diplomat, writer and printer.
He is credited for introducing the printing press into England in the 15th century He was also the first English retailer of printed books, the first book known to have been produced at his press in Westminster was an edition of Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales
Brett & Helen took over the pub in November 2017, with the aim to bring the pub to the forefront of the local community, just as it was when it first opened in 1928!